Saturday 31 December 2022

2022: Reflections and the year ahead

 

"The stars began to burn

Through the sheets of clouds

And there was a new voice

Which you slowly recognised as your own"

                                                            The Journey, Mary Oliver

Another year and another Mary Oliver quotation from me. This one is from The Journey and I think it is my favourite.

I have been wondering on and off whether to share an end of year post this time round. It has been a significant year for transitions and tribulations and they are far from over. 

Like the previous year, 2022 didn't get off to a great start. The kids and I had Covid at the same time as I had some of my big online teaching sessions. Hospital trips followed as it affected my youngest’s asthma. On reflection, I should have postponed my teaching but at the time the thought of rearranging everything felt worse than pushing through.

Fortunately; dear reader, it started to pick up...

One of my intentions last year was to have lots of fun trips and adventures with my little ones. We definitely achieved this in 2022. We  went to adventure parks, a local festival, Go Ape challenges (I still haven’t mastered the best way to go down a zip wire!), a circus, the Legoland hotel for my son’s birthday (expensive but amazing), National Trust places, lots of parks and woods, plus we went to Centerparcs for the first time for my big birthday. I also drove (5 hours!) to see my parents in Morecambe. While I can’t afford to repeat this in quite the same way next year, I want to continue getting out and about to share joyful experiences with them.

Getting outdoors

Lego room


I had my research proposal accepted in April which was both exciting and scary. I am enjoying the process enormously and learning so much but, as expected when I signed up, progress is slow. This is something I need to get used to given the other demands on my time and energy.

Workwise, I took a step back from speaking at conferences and events to focus on the newly accredited programmes and pathways to Advance HE status as well as my PhD. Other than Springboard, which I’ve done for a few years now, I chose not to speak at anything in 2022. I was happy to put this aside as I had spoken at many events in the previous few years. I now intend to start this up again going forwards and will present again but only on areas directly related to my work or my research.

In May, I received my 500-hour Yoga Alliance International certificate which felt like a great achievement after everything that’s happened over the last few years. Since then I’ve been teaching yoga nidra at work and incorporating the philosophy and asana into my teaching. I also had a coaching article published this year too which I enjoyed writing. I’m looking forward to finding out how I can start to blend my coaching work with yoga, reflection and academic professional development.

I still write for The Academic Woman and I continue to be a wellbeing primary school governor. I find these positions rewarding and will remain in them so long as I can add value. 

Aims and plans for 2023:

For 2022, I chose the word dignity as my word of the year. It was a useful check-in throughout the months, and it can be easy to lose when there are challenging situations. I may have been spotted a tad tearful in the vicinity more than once but, in general, it was a good anchor.

This year I have chosen two – self-compassion and connection. The first is because too many people have recently told me I need to be kind to myself. I am listening! The second is because I spent some of 2022 re-establishing connections with people and it has been really lovely. This is something I want to increase and maintain.

My general aims and plans for 2023 then are:

  • to have lots of fun with my two little ones
  • focus on my PhD
  • blend my professional interests
  • consider the steps I need to take to get to Reader. (At one point, I wouldn’t have considered this but several people recently have told me they would support me if I did - so, I can but have a look)

Last year, I wrote I would go gently into the new year armed with compassion and friendship. As there are more changes (both positive and negative) on the horizon at work, some significant schooling challenges coming my way, and a literature review to write, this approach is more necessary than ever. 

I am hopeful. And when I am not, I will reread The Journey.  

I would love to know what your plans, goals and hopes are for 2023.

 

1 comment:

  1. You have always been an inspiration to me, and I have really appreciated your encouragement while I was completing my Masters. I am always interested in your new year goals and reflections. Wishing you and the boys all good things for 2023.

    ReplyDelete