Wednesday 29 December 2021

2021: Reflections and the year ahead

                                   "Tell me, what is it you plan to do, with your one wild and precious life

                                                            The Summer Day, Mary Oliver

I love Mary Oliver's poetry. I only have one book of hers, Devotions, but it always has a poem for every occasion and mood. This quote resonates right now for me as I think about my next steps, especially as I meet a big birthday next year. 

It's been difficult to blog this year, just as it was in 2020.

2021 didn't get off to a good start as the inevitable January lockdown in England was announced. We all knew it was coming but as the school closures were announced I, like many others, did cry as I wondered how I would manage. At times it didn't feel like it was going to get better, especially as it finally became official that my 21 year relationship had disintegrated too.

It would be remiss of me; however,  not to reflect on this year as I spend so much of my working life extolling the virtues of reflection!

Positives and challenges


Professional:

I followed up my previous presentations for Advance HE on coaching and academic practice by speaking at their HE Wellbeing Symposium about embedding coaching techniques into our accredited professional development programme. The focus was on time and space, something I feel that has been reduced for many over the years, and especially during the pandemic.

I continued my regular contributions to The Academic Woman magazine and was delighted to be invited to deliver a webinar for them and later to be invited to their editorial panel. I like working with this group  - our values align and they are filling a real gap in the market.

The Advance HE pathways I lead have gone from strength to strength which has been a relief, with the introduction of online writing retreats and a coaching programme. The thing I was most proud of; however, was being invited to the Special Libraries Association Europe and International Conferences. In the European one I was asked to speak about resilience and thriving. It was quite personal and the feedback was lovely - I really hope it helped people consider what they can control in the times we are living in. As you know from my social media, I am a bell hooks and Brene Brown fan. They both speak about showing vulnerability to encourage authenticity and courage, yet Brene warns about sharing issues you are still working through so it was a careful balance as to what to include.

Personal

I am still volunteering as a primary school governor, and still working on my 300 hour yoga teacher training certificate. The former has allowed me to learn and hopefully contribute to the school and the latter has been for my own personal interests - I have really enjoyed it, especially the yin yoga and yoga nidra elements of it. 
As lockdown eased,  I was able to continue the woodland and river walks, and arrange some trips with my children, including a lovely trip with fantastic views in Poole. 
In addition, I have completed my research proposal and have submitted it so hopefully I will be able to start a PhD this year.

Birthday walk by the river at Cliveden

Poole views



Aims and plans for 2022:


For 2021, I chose the word Energy as my word of the year. It was a useful check-in throughout the months but it's time for another one. I'm still deciding but in the meantime, my aims and plans for next year are:
  • to have lots of fun with my two little ones.
  • enjoy my 'big' birthday
  • complete my 300hr YTT course which will then qualify me as a 500 hour YTT
  • like last year, still plan amazing ' one-day' future adventures (I want to see waterfalls, cherry blossom and still dreaming of seeing the northern lights)
  • start work on my PhD - eep!
I appreciate it is going to take a while for me to find self-acceptance and self-esteem again so I aim to go slowly and gently into the new year armed with compassion and friendship. 

I would love to know what your plans, goals and hopes are for 2022. Please feel free to use the comments.



No comments:

Post a Comment