Wednesday 26 June 2019

Keeping up CPD when you've not had a decent night's sleep in years and have caring responsibilities

This is a post for all those who are unable to take part in conference season, for whatever reason. For those returning to work thinking 'how am I going to cope/prove I can do the job'. For those trying to balance work and caring responsibilities.

A major part of any professional role is to engage in continual professional development. It keeps skills, knowledge and behaviour up to date and to a standard, which is usually set by a professional body. For example:
  • Part of the requirements for gaining a fellowship of the HEA are "successful engagement with continuing professional development in relation to teaching, learning, assessment and, where appropriate, related academic or professional practices".
  • In librarianship, chartership is expected to be gained and revalidated continually.
  • In coaching, a coach is expected to engage in coaching supervision.

Pre children: I went to conferences. I sat on committees. I organised conferences. I organised training and development for special interest groups. I trained and developed others in my spare time. I took part in Twitter chats. I sometimes got up at 4am on a Saturday (what was I thinking?!) to traipse across the country to attend 'unconferences'. I wrote articles. I blogged on my own blog and wrote guest blog posts. I read widely and deeply and wrote book reviews. I delivered guest lectures. I attended guest lectures. I networked. I was enthusiastic... and tired.

Presenting
I then had two children and changed jobs. I am still enthusiastic, and now even more tired.

We have been through some lovely ups and quite horrific downs with the children. But, good quality sleep, settling down with a good book, and networking till the wee small hours are all distant memories and unlikely to happen again for a while

Which brings me, finally, to my point. Is it still possible to engage in CPD when even a Twitterchat will most likely be interrupted by wailing and crying (sometimes from the children)?

This is how I sort of make it work.

Post children:
  • I am much more strategic in my approach to what is necessary - so fewer things but better quality
  • I still read professional books but much more slowly (I have book chapters marked out in my bullet journal that I am going to read that week)
  • I still read journal articles (I use JournalTocs to keep me up to date with what's happening)
  • I am growing a Twitter network of people in my slightly altered field which helps me to keep up to date and raise my own profile
  • I read the Wakelets of the evening Twitterchats 
  • I have started blogging again to aid my reflection and help others who wish to develop
  • I talk to my colleagues rather than just put my head down and get my work done
  • I attend lunch-time events where possible
  • I have engaged in workplace training, including finally becoming a qualified Performance Coach
It's not glamorous and I miss dressing up for conference dinners (see below) but this is what it is - and it's more environmentally friendly! There's probably more I could be doing but for now this is enough. Whatever you're doing is enough.











How do you make it work?

2 comments:

  1. Mostly by reminding myself that it's "just a phase" and being very strategic about what I do and when I do it. And a lot more focussed. You were already very focussed even before you had children ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - I thought I was focussed. Turns out I was just organised. Yes - this too shall pass (both the god and the bad).Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete