Sunday 11 November 2018

The mummy returns: part two...

So after quite a gap since my last post, I am back to writing on this blog. I may have disappeared from here and Twitter for a while; however, I did emerge briefly to write a post for the Reallife Fit on self-care and well-being before retreating back to life with a pre-schooler and baby and all that that entails (mainly tears - of laughter, joy, anger, sadness and frustration).

Reading back my post from the last time I returned from maternity leave I'm surprised at how raw it still feels.

I hadn't recovered mentally or physically when I went back and (I realise I am lucky compared to some countries who get no or little maternity leave - looking at you America) but I had little financial choice so it was the way it had to be. Luckily this child didn't have neonatal meningitis or reflux and while it wasn't a walk in the park - prolonged jaundice, scar infections etc - we're doing okay. This time taking a longer leave of absence has addressed some of those emotional and physical demons and laid them to rest. Some...not all.

This time I have two little ones at home being looked after by their dad during the week while we tag team childcare. I am returning to a job I am very excited about and I have recently found out I have been accepted on a programme to do a Level 5 Coaching and Mentoring qualification - which I am absolutely thrilled with. I've been trying to get on this course for YEARS - I may have mentioned it once or twice in my posts!


As the seasons shift...

It has been a bit of an identity shift moving jobs too. I will be spending my time with academic staff rather than students and I am no longer working in a library or employed as an information professional. While I am still a member of CILIP and therefore still a qualified chartered librarian, I am not sure how much longer I will retain that part of my identity. I will need to change the strapline of my blog - or do I scrap this one and start again? It seems a shame to lose all that content, especially as lots of it is still linked to what I do.

My path is now veering away from budgets and research databases and much more towards education, coaching and developing people - the element of all my previous roles I have most enjoyed and valued. A condition of my probation is that I will gain Senior Fellow status of the Higher Education Academy so I expect I will be busy this academic year.

I am considering blogging about both my journey to becoming a Senior Fellow and a qualified coach. If this is something you would be interested in please let me know via the comments.

4 comments:

  1. Great news Sarah, would love to hear more about your onward journey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I really want to get back into writing.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sarah
    Your blog is really interesting. I will be joining you on the ILM coaching course and it would be great to hear about/share experiences. See you next week.
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete