Thursday 25 April 2019

Spring is here and the grass has grown - marking/coaching/weeding

I find April an uplifting month. Spring is underway: bluebells, forget-me-nots and daffodils have all emerged and are doing their best to beautify the landscape. The showers are short and promote growth.

Growth is happening at work and at home too. At work the focus is on marking, preparing my Senior Fellowship application and reflecting on the previous term's teaching activities. At home it is on preparing the garden. Not the ideal time for the latter but the safest time to get the little ones involved.

What I've been up to this month:

Coaching:

I've handed in my second assignment and received very positive comments about it. I've completed thirteen hours of coaching, plus lots of practising within the workshops and have attended several coaching supervision sessions. The latter have been very helpful in allowing me to unpick and receive advice on some of the trickier areas - keeping it all anonymous of course. I have one assignment to go which I hope to complete very shortly and then that's it - I'll be a qualified coach! Then the work really starts...

Academic Practice:

Lots and lots of marking of draft portfolios. We asked for drafts and we've got them! These are mainly from our PgCAP programme but some are also from older programmes which we no longer run or from our open route to accreditation. I'm trying to fit them in around meetings but most productive marking takes place when I can block off several days and do little else but concentrate on this area. Easier said than done but I'm working on it.

Becoming embroiled in the 'finding a school for my darling' process:

This should have been easy as we have one very close to us but unfortunately it wasn't suitable so we've had to look elsewhere. We found out this month that we have got our first choice, which is a huge relief.

Getting the raised beds ready for sowing:

They are in a mess after not being used for a couple of years. It has also been challenging to do this with a full-time job and two small children; however, I have bought them their own spades and I'm hoping we can finish this with a team effort!

Giving blood:

I have a rare donor blood type so I get regular letters and phone-calls encouraging me to donate again. I was a regular until pregnancy, breastfeeding and a severe lack of sleep became part of my life. While I probably am too tired for it to be sensible, at least I know there will be some blood available if I have an accident! I also think that if you are willing to accept it then, if you are able, you should be willing to donate it.

What I've been reading:
I've not been reading so much recently due to marking, hospital visits and focussing on assignments but here's some of the main pieces:

Chimp Paradox and My Hidden Chimp by Professor Steve Peters . I bought the former after having heard it recommended by three different people in one month. It's already making a difference to my approach and it ties in with some of the mindfulness practices I use. My four year old loves the latter. It is a little bit old for him but we go through a chapter most weekends.

Reframing Professional Development Through Understanding Authentic Professional Learning by Ann Webster-Wright.Read as part of our team's continuing professional development.

Biggs and Tang, (2011) Teaching For Quality Learning At University A core textbook for the students on the PgCAP course and I've finally finished the entire thing!

Fellowshipat4 - A twitter hashtag used by the Trent Institute for Learning and Teaching. I'm currently putting together my Senior Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy portfolio and this was immensely helpful.


Recommended site:
Give blood. Do it! You will feel incredibly virtuous afterwards!


How's your spring shaping up? What plans do you have? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment