Sunday 27 January 2019

Reflecting and renewing...slowly (and dryly).

Happy New Year, everybody! I hope it's not too late to say that!

I find January an odd month - a time for reflection, often full of resolutions to do better, with an urgent appeal from all around us to stop doing this, start doing that and do it all right this minute. This is juxtaposed with it being winter - cold, wet, and the time for hibernation. I generally have a slow and steady approach at this time of year. From the Winter Solstice celebrations on 22nd December, the days slowly become lighter and this is how I like to approach the forthcoming seasons too - gradually.

As I work in the education sector I feel I get several times to reflect and renew throughout the year, spring being one and then the start of the new academic year in September so there is no rush to get everything done at once...

What I've been up to this month:

Coaching:

The second module is over. My first and second learning log have been completed and handed in, as has my first assignment. My coaching practice is well underway. I've coached six times now, which is obviously not much at all, but with each hour I put in I am learning more. It's also really helping my conversations with the new staff at the University who are taking the Post-Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PgCAP).

Academic Practice:

Some teaching, but mainly meetings, marking and more marking. I am currently marking PgCAP portfolios and with many of them it feels such an absolute privilege. The amount of effort many of the new staff have put in, the way they have engaged and the level of personal detail they have included about what fires them up about teaching is lovely to read.

Dry January:

I don't normally bother with these types of challenges as I don't drink that much - a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend - but I thought I'd give it a go. While it's had the opposite effect to my waistline that I hoped for (as I've reached for the chocolate as an alternative) I do get through the sleepless nights with my children a little easier.

What I've been reading:

Questioning Vygotsky's legacy? Edited by Anton Yasnitsky
Muse by Jesse Burton of The Miniatiarist fame
Psychologies magazine - I treated myself to the Black Friday subscription deal and it's very much the gift that keeps on giving with added Facebook groups and life coaching workshops
Performance Coaching Carol Wilson
Cheaters on Twitter: an analysis of engagement approaches of contract cheating services
Hancock, J (2018) 'Engaging with Liminalities and Combating Toxicity: A Compassionate Approach to Developing Professional Identities for PhD Students Who Teach' Journal of perspectives in applied academic practice, 6 (3)

Recommended site:

The Pool - I absolutely love this. I've been signed up to the Editor's Circle too which for £3 gets you freebies and an extra letter from the editor (although sadly this has now just stopped). I like how the daily updates tell you roughly how long the article will take to engage with - useful for when you're sat down to feed the baby or have a few moments while waiting for someone to arrive for a meeting :) And that it's a mixture of serious stuff and superficial shopping/beauty stuff too.


Facebook groups - Having a full-time job and a young family with no support network means I don't have the opportunity to talk to anyone outside of these environments. I've recently joined a few groups in Facebook and it has been nice to be able to dip in occasionally, get advice if needed and give support if I can help. It keeps me from being in my own little bubble too much.


How's your January looking so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment